Gripes & Graplings

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Gene Pitney Dead and Gone

I didn't even know he was touring in the UK until I saw the news at lunch time. Aged just 65, Gene Pitney had been found dead in his bed this morning at a hotel in Cardiff. He'd shown no signs of illness and the cause of death is, as yet, unknown. The police aren't considering it suspicious.

I won't pretend I was a fan of Pitney. I wasn't. I don't have any CDs by the man and can only name two of his songs: "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa" and then, much later, "Something's Got A Hold of My Heart".

The reason it saddens me a little that he's gone is because I remember my mum singing "Twenty Four Hours..." when I was a little girl. She always sang while she was cooking or doing the housework, and that was one of her favourites.

That's it really. I've nothing more to say on the subject. I won't be sending flowers.


Related Link:
BBC News Story

2 Comments:

  • Something's Gotten Hold of my Heart. Remember it from the first time round, when I was just a soggy teenager. Still brings lump to my throat.

    No, I don't have any Gene Pitney records either. It's still sad though. Every time we lose one.

    By Blogger Mark Gamon, at 6/4/06 17:39  

  • Hi Sharon. Didn't know Gene. Its awfully nice of you to blog about his death though. :-)

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, at 6/4/06 22:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home